Saturday, June 11, 2011

Am I a bad mom?

Or just a lazy mom?  I admitted to my husband this morning that I don't generally like other peoples kids. Well at least strangers kids.  We went to PBS kids in the park this morning and I'll be honest, I really dislike these types of events.  They stress me out and I usually end up cranky and often hostile.  Parents shoving their kids in front of yours to get a picture with a stupid Chik Fil A cow? Really? Hovering around the Cookie Monster tent trying to sneak in a picture with their kid when I've been holding our place in line for 45 minutes in the sun.  I understand we all want the best for our kids, but when I get around that many helicopter parents trying to make sure their child gets their "fair share" it makes me crazy.  My daughter is 22 months old and you know what? I tell her that life isn't fair, we don't always get what we want and often someone else will get what we think belongs to us.   Not saying that my kiddo doesn't get tons of opportunities and fun things, she's an only child for pete sake, there really isn't any competition at home unless you count the family dog.

If I had my way I would never go to these events, but I, like many other parents worry that she may someday during a long expensive therapy session claim that I never exposed her to normal childhood  experiences.  I'm debating whether to put my little tornado in dance class or tumbling, she would have fun and get to socialize. But darn it that means I have to put on my interested face,  ask questions of other parents, try to remember their names the next time I see them.  It's all so much work.  Yup I'm a lazy mom, I feed my kid processed foods, I use Elmo like a sedative when I need a break, and I only very rarely do fun "kid" things with my toddler.  So sue me :P

No comments:

Post a Comment